one-pot macaroni and cheese
A simple recipe for mac and cheese. It's alright when freshly cooked, but it leaves fantastic leftovers, which is great because unless you halve the ingredients it makes a lot of food. This recipe is transcribed from one my aunt sent me.
- 12oz evaporated milk
- 2 cups water
- 12oz elbow macaroni
- 8oz grated cheddar
- 3/4tsp salt
- any spices
- Combine evaporated milk, salt, and water in a medium-large pot. Heat on medium-high until warm.
- Add macaroni to the pot. Raise heat to high and heat to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- When macaroni begins to boil, reduce heat to low and cover, letting it simmer for 7-8 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Stir it every so often so it doesn't boil over.
- Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Add spices and condiments. I'm a fan of chili powder, black pepper, and hot sauce, though you can use anything you like.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!